Pub No. 461
Pub No. 505
Sign up to the Institute's Newsletter
Fill in your details and we will be in touch
Publication Year: 2017
Jerusalem Facts and Trends is one of the Institute’s premier publications. It is an accessible guide through which anyone from a variety of fields can find useful information on Jerusalem. The publication analyzes the complex reality that is ‘modern Jerusalem’ and examines the area, the diverse populations that inhabit the city, sources of population growth, welfare and standard of living, employment, business and industry, education, housing and tourism. The data used in the publication is largely drawn from the Institute’s Statistical Yearbook of Jerusalem, published annually.
In 2015 Jerusalem’s population constituted some 10% of Israel’s total population. Its Jewish population amounted to 8% of Israel’s total Jewish population, while its Arab population amounted to 18% of Israel’s total Arab population. Over the years, there has been a decline in the relative size of Jerusalem’s Jewish population, with a concomitant increase in the proportion of the Arab population. The proportion of the Jewish population fell from 74% in 1967 to 72% in 1980, to 68% in 2000, and to 63% in 2015. Simultaneously, the Arab population rose from 26% in 1967 to 28% in 1980, 32% in 2000, and 37% in 2015.
In 2014 the number of new immigrants who chose Jerusalem as their first place of residence rose reached 2,700. The trend continued into 2015, with 3,100 new immigrants settling in the city. During the years 2002-2013, the number of new immigrants to Israel declined significantly. In 2002 there were 33,600 immigrants; the number dropped to 21,200 in 2005 and to 16,900 in 2013. But in 2014 there was a significant increase in the number of immigrants to Israel, which rose to 24,100 new immigrants. The increase between 2013 and 2015 resulted from an increase in the number of immigrants arriving from the Ukraine (1,900 in 2013 and 6,900 in 2015), from France (2,900 and 6,600, respectively), and from Russia (4,000 and 6,600, respectively).
In 2015, 39% of all families (83,600), 47% of the population (387,800 persons), and 58% of the children (189,800) in Jerusalem lived below the poverty line. The extent of poverty in Jerusalem was significantly higher than in Israel at large – where 19% of families, 22% of the population and 30% of the children – lived below the poverty line. Poverty is a matter of relative economic distress and is measured in relation to the entire society. The poverty line in Israel is defined as an income level equal to 50% of the median disposable income per person. The extent of poverty among the Arab population of Jerusalem was considerably higher than among the Jewish population: 79% of the Arab population lived below the poverty line, compared with 27% of the Jewish population.
In 2015 the rate of participation in the labor force in Jerusalem for the peak working ages (25-64) was 67%, significantly lower than the rate in Israel at large (81%), in Tel Aviv (89%), or in Haifa (86%). The labor force participation rate among Jerusalem men aged 25-64 (77%) was lower than the rate in Israel (86%), Tel Aviv (92%), or Haifa (87%). The low labor force participation rate among Jerusalem men stems from the relatively low participation rate among ultra-orthodox men, who tend to engage in yeshiva study rather than employment. It should be noted, however, that during the past decade there has been a gradual rise in the labor force participation rate among ultra-orthodox men.